Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Five.

And just like that, my baby girl is five.

Ava Marguerite entered the world at 4:05 pm on November 10, 2005. It's hard to believe that 5 years have passed since I first felt what it was like to hold a baby, MY baby, and know instantly what it was like to be a mom.

5 years later, I've watched my little baby evolve into a little girl. And an amazing little girl she is. At 5, she is really is her own little person and it is so fun to be a part of her life. Ava is very creative - her favorite things to do right now are drawing, coloring and playing with Barbies, Pet Shop Toys, and any other little toys that are nearly impossible to not misplace. And, it goes without saying, that she is still fearless when it comes to outdoor activities. Her broken wrist says it all. She loves to be read to and is just starting to recognize some words. She has been writing her name and our names for quite some time and can easily write other words when we tell her how to spell them. Ava also has a good heart - she is a great big sister and likes to play with Reese more than fight with her, so we're grateful for that. While her strong will can be a continuous challenge in our house, I'm hopeful it will be something she can use to her advantage as she grows older. I have no doubt she will get her way in life most of the time :-) I'm also impressed daily by her outgoing personality, as that is something that has never come naturally for me. Happy Birthday, Sweet Girl.

On Ava's actual birthday, I took the morning off of work and Scot and I took her to Caribou for a special breakfast after dropping off Reese at daycare. After that, I went to preschool with Ava. It was the first time I volunteered in her class and I really enjoyed it. She got to wear a birthday crown and the kids sang a birthday song to her during circle time. She chose 5 kids to be her candles and at the end of the song, she blew them out and they each fell to the ground. It was really cute. For the rest of the morning, I just helped manage the classroom and did different things to help the teachers. It was really fun to see Ava interact with her friends and teachers - she is very well-behaved in the classroom setting (at least we have that going for us!)



In the evening, we let her open the presents from us. Reese got her some new books and Scot and I got her a leotard, a Ken doll, and a huge set of Littlest Pet Shop Toys and buildings that I bought from a coworker. She was happy with all of it :-)

We had a party for her on the 13th - most of our friends and family were able to joing us for the festivities and we had a really nice celebration. She picked out a Barbie cake and had a lot of fun opening her presents and playing with the other 7 little ones there. I think one of her favorite things about her birthday party day was waking up to the 5+ inches of snow we got that night! Crazy!

Playing in the snow in the morning

The 5 year old!




And I'm horribly delinquent on a wedding entry and a vacation entry - one of these days...

No comments: