We had been having a little trouble with Ava's morning routine in January...well, by "we", I mean "Ava" and by "trouble" I mean she was dawdling and otherwise not doing the things she needed to do to get ready for school. Let's just say mornings are already pretty stressful when everything is going right...throw a few kinks in the routine and the crying ensues. And that's mostly Mom.
So we brought back the sticker chart, which seems like it would have eclipsed a 6 year old's motivation level...but nope, not yet. It says:
1) Get dressed.
2) Go downstairs. Eat breakfast.
3) Play quietly.
06:15 school days
07:00 weekend days (Sat, Sun, or days off school)
The times are for how long she needs to stay in her bedroom. She loves school days so she can get up early. Sigh.
Anyway, the genius part of this was that my idea for a reward wasn't going to cost us anything. Ava had some money burning a hole in her pocket, various gifts from birthdays and Christmas and such. We counted it and she had $43. She was dying to go shopping.
I told her I would finally take her shopping (with her money) if she could earn 5 stickers for doing her morning routine all week without any nagging from us. It worked like a charm. Possibly the easiest week of mornings in 6 years.
Saturday approached and she was getting really excited about spending her money. She had some ideas and mostly wanted to spend her things on American Girl (Target version) accessories. We took a look at the website first to get a baseline of how much various things cost and how much she'd be able to buy. She took this very seriously. And I tried to help her see how some things might be more useful and/or cost effective than others.
Before we went to Target, I took her to Barnes and Noble because I had a book to return. There, she decided she needed to have a (real) American Doll hair style kit. It was $20. I let her get it.
At Target she found a salon chair (which we had seen on the website). That was $20 also.
That was about 3 weeks ago and she is still playing with both toys daily - she did a great job!
No comments:
Post a Comment