The only connection I have to the Gentry family is through my message board. Susan has a little girl Lauren who was also born in November 2005 and two older children, Nathan (7) and Julia (5). Nathan was diagnosed with cancer in April 2003, when he was only 3 years old. He has endured almost every type of treatment available and came out disease free twice. Unfortunately, his cancer came back about a year ago and progressed much more rapidly this time. Nathan passed away on Sunday, July 29th just a few weeks after he turned 7.
I'm not sure why this story has hit me so hard. I haven't met these people, but their story bears so much strength. Even on the most difficult days, Susan seemed to be able to find something positive to say. And maybe it's really Nathan who deserves the credit. Even while enduring the pain that he has day in and day out, he managed to smile and say "please" and "thank you" to his family. Looking at his pictures from May and June, you'd really never know this young boy was dying of cancer.
Sometimes I get caught up in taking care of Ava and the challenges a toddler brings to our home. And then after reading what this family has gone through for the past 4 years, it makes my complaints seem so trivial. This little guy has taught me to cherish every moment I have with my family. I know I won't always follow this lesson, but if I do it more than yesterday then I have Nathan to thank. Hug someone you love extra tightly today. And be thankful for your health and happiness.
Here is Nathan's website, if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.caringbridge.org/co/nathanmichael/
No comments:
Post a Comment