Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Heading South...

in April, that is. To Atlanta. For about 3 months. Yikes!

So, Scot has more military pilot training to complete - he will be upgrading from copilot to aircraft commander. We have known this would be coming for awhile, but just didn't know when. And now we know - we actually got his dates in early October but have just recently figured out the logistics of it all. Awhile ago I think we both assumed he would just go down there by himself and do it whenever it came up. Ha! My perspective quickly changed about, oh, 2 days into his most recent deployment to Afghanistan. It became clearer and clearer throughout his 8 week absence that I was in no condition to take on yet another absence with one more child.

Just one small detail - what was I going to do about my job? The timing seemed like it couldn't be any worse. If I have this baby sometime around my due date, I will be going back to work the first part of April. And now to ask my boss for another reprieve starting at the end of April? Ugh. Well, I got the courage to bring it up a few weeks ago and surprisingly she was very supportive. In the end, I think we have agreed that I will take a personal leave of absence between late April and the end of May and then I will work remotely part time for the rest of our stay there. And the timing actually worked out better than I initially thought, as we're already prepping another gal in my dept to take over some of my tasks while I'm on maternity leave - now we'll just add a few more months to that.

So, it is pretty exciting to think that after the first of the year I will barely be in the office until the end of July! The thought of moving the 4 of us down there is a little unnerving, but it should work out all right. We'll probably just take our 2 vehicles and then rent a furnished apartment while we're down there. I haven't really spent any time in Atlanta before, so I think it will be a lot of fun to explore. And my mouth is already watering for some sweet tea...yummy.

3 comments:

A Crafty Mom said...

Sounds like it will be really exciting for you guys, Heidi. What an experience! Sounds like 2009 will be a really adventurous year with lots of changes for your little gang :-)

Sarah said...

Wow! Isn't it amazing the curves that life throws?

Tricia said...

holy crapy I REALLY need to catch up on my blog reading. BIG BIG NEWS HEIDI!!!! WOW! This is exciting! How great to have more time off. Sorry you have to move to do it but awesome in the end it seems - and you'll be in warm weather during a crappy spring! :) We need to get in some play dates before you leave