Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Day 5

I do it all the time, leave my cube. Get some coffee. Talk to a coworker. Fill my water bottle (though of course I don't do that one as much as I should, but I'm working on it). Get stuff at the printer. Walk to the cafeteria. Go to meetings. Get my Diet Coke out of the fridge. Go to the bathroom.

It was the last one that did me in today. Because when I got back to my cube, I saw the voicemail message in outlook. Unrecognizable number. 11:13 am. Hey, wait - it still is 11:13 am.

I missed him by a fraction of seconds. Him being the husband who left for war on Saturday. Who I haven't talked to since Sunday. And on Sunday it was only for 4 minutes and change because it was after midnight where he was, he was exhausted, and it was roaming.

The good news (?) is he reached his destination, where he will have some semblance of a routine for the first few weeks. He has made his little living space his home with Christmas lights and pictures. And he said he'd call me again tomorrow.

To tide us over, the girls and I watched some videos he taped of himself reading books. Ava's favorite is when he reads a book called Babies because he says "I love you" at the end. That is my favorite one too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you missed his call, Heidi. I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave and get him home again right away. The sacrifices your family (and many others like you) have made for our country are phenomenal. THANK YOU for being such an awesome, supportive wife to your hubby as he serves our country.