This has been a busy, busy week for the social calendar...which was generally not the case back in Minnesota. :-)
A Christmas party for the kids was originally scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 8th at the Ambassador's House. But we got about 12 inches of snow that day, so it was canceled. We managed to still have a good time playing outside in the snow that day and in the evening we trekked down the (unplowed) hill to Kim and Rob's house for some chili and mulled wine (which is really the best thing ever - they even sell it outside on the square...there are so many good things about Zagreb!). Kim and I watched a movie while the kids played and the guys drank beer. We trudged back up the hill around 9:30, and then Scot went back down to watch the Army-Navy football game with Rob.
Anyway, so the Christmas party was rescheduled for Monday evening. It was a really nice event and Santa showed up with labeled gifts for all the kids! And I finally met the current US Ambassador (Ken Mertens) - he actually just started in October and was previously the US Ambassador in Haiti (notably during the earthquake). In the living area, there are framed pictures of him and his family with George Bush, Bill Clinton, Hillary, the Obamas, the Carters, etc....so kind of an important guy. ;-) So, it was especially awesome that my first interaction with him was less than inspiring. I had taken Ava to the bathroom and was waiting outside the door for her. She finished up and then she couldn't unlock the door. Couldn't get it open. And was starting to get frantic. So I was trying to talk through the bathroom door to help her. "Just turn the lock to the right..." Then I started getting more flustered as she continued to struggle. Scot came over. And then I could see that the Ambassador was just around the corner checking his cell phone. He asked if everything was ok. Sigh...yes, except for my 7 year old locking herself in the bathroom. A little bit later, Scot officially introduced me to Ken and he asked me if we had everybody accounted for. Yep.
On Tuesday, Reese and I went to the mall in the afternoon and I searched frantically for a dress for Wednesday night. I didn't just figuratively have anyhing to wear...I literally had nothing to wear. Have I mentioned that the malls here have free babysitting up to 2 hours? Jackpot. In the evening, I sat in on my first school board meeting.
Wednesday came. In the afternoon, Reese and I went to Ava's Christmas Sing a Long and then later in the evening we had a party (grownups only) at Colonel Carlson's house. Colonel Carlson is Army and is Scot's boss's boss. He and his wife Christine are extremely nice and down to earth - he will be retiring in the spring and they'll be moving back to their home in Virginia. It was a fun party - probably about 50 people were there (mostly with some kind of US or Croatian military connection), it was catered and they had a bar with waitstaff.
And then last night we were back at their house again for another Christmas party, this time it was much more casual. It was just the military people from the Embassy (13 people including spouses). Christine made chicken curry, which was awesome, and we had a great time visiting and drinking and eating. We also did a White Elephant gift exchange at the end of the night. It was a really fun time! Also glad I found such a great babysitter, we're getting a lot of use out of her.
Today we have 2 school parties - Reese's school (she started last week!) is having a Christmas program. All I know is she is going to be "Blitzen" and has 2 lines, which I have no doubt, she will not say :-) We shall see..they are also having a potluck and we were asked to bring a dish that is special to our country. This was especially challenging, given that so many American ingredients are just not here. I finally decided to make "Cowboy Caviar", served with tortilla chips. I could get everything but the celery. Well, and I'm not really sure about the various beans/corn, but it's close enough. Then, Ava's class is having a party this morning as well. Scot is taking the day off and we'll divide and conquer.
Tonight Scot and I are going to go out downtown by ourselves. I'm not sure that we need another night out this week, but Reese's school is having a "Pajama Night" so we will drop the girls off from 4:30 - 9:00 and enjoy a quiet dinner and the Christmas market. They have all sorts of fun stuff planned at the school- the girls are excited!
On Saturday, I think I will take a nap. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment