Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sretan Bozic!

Sretan Bozic = Merry Christmas (pronounced Sray-ton Bozh-each)

Ava's school had their Christmas sing a long program this afternoon.  It was wonderful.  It reminded me a lot of the Christmas program scene in Love Actually, which is one of my favorite movies.

Ava's school only has about 250 kids in grades K-12 and everyone participated in the concert.  Each of the lower elementary grades sang a song and then were several other combined performances.  Ava ended up singing 3 songs:
1) The 2 first grade classes combined to sing "Dreidel, Dreidel" (a Hanukah song) in English
2) Kids in Croatian Culture (grades 1-4) combined to sing a Croatian Christmas song, in Croatian
3) All students taking French (grades 1-12) sang a French Christmas song, in French

Two other songs were sung in German and Spanish, among several more in English.

I just love the school community here, seeing all those kids performing together in 90 minutes was really heartwarming, so much more intimate than what we have back at home.

In other school related news, I was appointed to be a member of the school board during our stay here!  They asked for volunteers about a month ago, so I submitted my name, credentials and my hopes for the position.  In the end, I was selected by the school board and the Ambassador (and well, there were only 3 "competitors")...but I'm looking forward to being more involved in the school community.  I went to my first board meeting last night and will become a voting member in March.

No comments: