Sunday, February 03, 2013

Everyday Zagreb. Post one.

I thought I'd try a little something this week and call it "Everyday Zagreb", to highlight some of the little nuances about living here.  They all seemed pretty unusual when we first arrived...and now they are just part of the normal landscape.

So, Post one.

One of the first times I went to the grocery store checkout, I had some bananas in my cart.  The cashier rang up all of my items, got to the bananas, looked them over, glared at me and said something not so nice in Croatian.  I shrugged my shoulders and tried to apologize with my eyes.  But I had no idea what I was apologizing for.  She sighed, made a phone call and started ringing up the next person.  I started to bag my groceries in puzzlement and wished I knew how to say, "It's ok, I don't need the bananas." 

It turns out that what I failed to do was weigh my own bananas before I got to the checkout.

Now I know that one or more of these contraptions are located in the produce section of each grocery store.  It's a scale. With numbers.  The numbers correspond to the type of produce.


Each type of produce is labeled with a sign depicting the price and the number that corresponds to the scale.  For example, the oranges in the photo below cost 10.99 Kuna per Kg.  To the left of the price is the number 26 in a circle.  Bag the oranges, put them on the scale, hit the number 26 and a price sticker spits out.  Apply the sticker to the bag.  This makes the checkout lady happy.  So now I know.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

hunh. Who'd have thought? Seems like that'd make grocery checkout lines move a *little* bit faster. I'm curious -- how did you figure out what you needed to do the next time? Stalk an unknowing Croatian shopper? ;)