So...we got Ava a pair of ice skates for Christmas and I was really excited about getting her on the ice and into lessons. I grew up with an ice skating rink across the street from my parent's house - I don't remember learning to skate but I spent most of every winter at the rink. The ice arena about a mile from our house offers lesson starting at age 4. However, I didn't get my act together in time and the classes were full by the time I tried to sign up. It was disappointing because 1) it's super close to our house and 2) a family that we got to know through Music Together class also signed up their daughter Ella for class there. So I scoured the internet to see if there were other classes available in the area and there were 3 more locations to choose from that were relatively close. So, I got her all signed up and her first lesson was last Saturday.
And it was pretty much a disaster. I had to laugh - on our way there, Ava made some comment that she would essentially be Disney Princess on Ice caliber by the time the first lesson was over with. Not so. The arena was a zoo when we got there (like with a gazillion pee wee hockey skaters and their parents milling about) and I had never even thought to prepare Ava ahead of time with having her stand or walk on skates to get used to them. Oops. Of course she was wobbly and complained that her ankles hurt and on and on and she hadn't even gotten on the ice yet! Eventually it was time for her to get on the ice, there were kids everywhere, it didn't seem very well organized and I watched her fall way too many times to count. They didn't have anything for the kids to hold on to or push, which surprised me - I guess I kind of assumed they'd have something like that.
Anyway, watching her made me want to cry as she fell down over and over again. But, God bless her, she got right back up every time even though I could tell she was miserable and kept looking for me in the bleachers, like "what did you do to me Mom??" Heartbreaking. Scot urged me to take the camera and I never pulled it out because it wasn't something I wanted to remember.
After the lesson was over, we got out of there as fast as we could and I resolved to call up on Monday and see if I could get my money back. I ended up talking to one of the instructors and he assured me that it was normally not that chaotic - there was a last minute hockey game scheduled when there usually isn't one and 2 of the instructors were out sick. So I agreed to give it another try. On Wed, I had Ava put on her skates and we went out on the cul de sac (which is covered with ice and snow) just to get her used to standing and balancing. She did really well and it was a great boost to her confidence! Then again tonight, I took her to an outdoor rink which is also about a mile from our house and I got my ice skates on too! (Thanks to my big sister Jo for getting some for me for Christmas) It has been years and years since I've been on skates but it all came back to me. So, Ava got out there with me and she did so much better. We worked on standing and balancing and basic forward skating. She still has a long way to go, but I will feel so much better when she goes out on the ice again tomorrow for her lesson.
2 comments:
Way to go Ava!! Congrats to you both for not giving up. Keep up the good work Ava!
How did the second lesson go? I hope she grows to love it like you do.
Post a Comment