Saturday, March 31, 2007

Scot's First Message from Afghanistan

I made it to our destination yesterday. Just getting acclimated to my new surroundings. LOTS of people here. It's been raining pretty much constantly. Thunderstorms and such. So much for desert. Our living conditions are pretty nice, I'm told, in comparison to those of many others'. Our complexes are basically six rail cars side-by-side and stacked two high. There are doors at either end and a bathroom facility in the middle. Each of them are configured a little differently, but are basically split into different "rooms" with blankets or sheets. Bunkbeds in each division. Each crew decorates it to their own standards. There are TVs and such there, but things get scavenged by other crews looking to improve their areas. We are bunked with another crew for today, but will get our own place tomorrow morning. It will be nice to finally unpack after living out of my backpack the last week.I bought some post-cards, so look for those in about a week. I hope things are going well for everyone. I've been taking pictures, so I'll try to send some. We don't have internet in our room set up (yet), so I'm writing from a common area. It's actually the "Pat Tillman USO." Pretty cool.

No comments: