Friday, June 27, 2008

Baby Baby

Had my 12 week appointment today...and I'm happy to say that everything went well. There is in fact a baby in my tummy, so I'm relieved. These early weeks are so hard - I don't know why I had so many doubts, you'd think the overwhelming nauseau, ridiculous fatigue, and already expanding waistline would make me feel pretty confident about the whole thing. Despite all the obvious symptoms, hearing the heartbeat today was a huge relief. Though it took a really LONG time for my doctor to find it. But then we heard it loud and clear and it was nice and fast, in the 160s. So all is well with the world. Well, with the baby anyway. Yay baby. And she didn't THINK she heard 2 heartbeats either. Phew.

When I went in for lab work a few weeks ago, I found out I'm anemic so I've been taking extra iron. I was the same with Ava so it wasn't too surprising...and I think it's helped my energy level quite a bit already. Haven't felt nauseaus for about 2 weeks either, which has been huge. I'm looking forward to the second trimester and feeling like myself again...

Here's what baby is up to this week:
Your baby, just over 1 1/2 inches long and about the size of a fig, is now almost fully formed. Her hands will soon open and close into fists, tiny tooth buds are beginning to appear under her gums, and some of her bones are beginning to harden.

She's already busy kicking and stretching, and her tiny movements are so effortless they look like water ballet. These movements will become more frequent as her body grows and becomes more developed and functional. You won't feel your baby's acrobatics for another month or two — nor will you notice the hiccupping that may be happening now that her diaphragm is forming.

2 comments:

dougnlarry said...

Awww, 1.5 inches. Isn't it amazing that something that small can make you feel so badly? I'm glad your appt went well and they only heard one HB. :)

Amanda said...

It's so amazing that at 1.5 inches the baby can be FULLY formed!!! Wow! Glad to hear you've been feeling better lately. The 2nd trimester is so much better, isn't it?