Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ava's first haircut

Well, I suppose she ought to get used to the frustration that all women deal with - hair and bad hair cuts.

My friend Tricia keeps making me look bad, with all of her on-time trips to the photo galleries to get pictures of her little ones. We had kept quite a rigorous schedule ourselves until this past year. Our last attempt was back in November, when Ava turned two. In the past we had always gone to Sears and I always made sure to request one of two women who worked there - they always did a great job and really knew what they were doing. But alas, all good child photographers come and go, and when I made Ava's 2 year appointment I found that neither of them worked there anymore. I decided to risk it anyway...and that was a mistake. We had a horrible photographer and got equally horrible shots and we walked out empty handed.

Anyway...I've been thinking I ought to do 2 1/2 year pictures, since we never got the 2 year ones...I'm already about 2 months overdue with that too! But I'm stuck on the hair - what do I do with it? Do I get barettes? Bows? Put it up in pigtails? As ridiculous as it is, the decision making (or lack thereof) is crippling me. So, I decided that maybe we should get her hair trimmed up for starters. Just a bang trim and a little off the ends in the back. When I said I wanted her bangs "just above her eyebrows", I didn't mean an inch or more. Oh well...so they're shorter than what I wanted and now I just might have to delay pictures a little bit longer until they grow out a little more...welcome to womanhood, Ava.

Getting started. We went to a place called "Kid's Hair" in Woodbury.


Not much of a challenge with Dora on.


Big smile.


Checking out her pretty self in the mirror.


Choosing a sucker rewarding her for her bravery...(again, which more or less amounted to watching Dora for 15 minutes).

3 comments:

dougnlarry said...

I'm so impressed that she sat still! Bradley HATES getting his hair cut. Maybe I should put Diego on and see if that does the trick.

I think it looks cute too. I'm sure she'll look great for her three year pics. ;)

Anonymous said...

Those bangs'll grow out in no time -- I promise!

And don't beat yourself up about missing the 2yr portraits -- we did too! Perhaps I'll get the 3yr ones done (relatively) on time!

Tricia said...

LOL about on-time pics. I am always a bit late. And I envy you for saying no to the 2 year pics since you didn't like them. I'm such a sucker I always buy, buy, buy even when i don't like! What is wrong w/ me?! Gosh, that hairdresser listened to you but she cut "just above the eyebrows" when hair is WET! What was she thinking?! AH! But Ava still looks cute! She seriously is like the cutest girl ever (though right along w/ Syd of course) :) But I'm with you I'd wait until the bangs grew out a bit before you get pics. But I agree w/ Phia, they will grow in no time! And FWIW, I don't think you need to do anything fancy for pics - just her hair as-is! No bows, etc. It just doesn't feel like "Ava" to me to see bows; though I'm sure she'd look really cute in them!