Monday, July 07, 2008

Terrible Twos times a Gazillion

Wow. What a long weekend. Long as in not all that nice long. If the Terrible Twos were an Olympic event, Ava would have been a gold medalist ten times over this weekend.

Whining
Crying
Sobbing
Not listening
Defying
Pouting
Screaming
Running in the opposite direction

Mix at high speed and repeat. That was our weekend.

Not sure what her deal was other than that she is two. I searched for signs of two year molars popping through, hoping for some sort of validation of her misery, but nothing. Couldn't come up with anything else. She's just two.

Don't get me wrong. I still love her and we still had some fun moments. On Friday, we went to the 4th of July carnival in Richfield where she rode a bunch of kiddie rides and even rode the Tilt-a-Whirl with Gwamma Di and Mawilyn.




On Saturday morning Jess and Keira came over and the girls had fun playing in the pool.




That night, everyone came over to celebrate Julie's birthday. We had the best dinner - spinach/strawberry salad, "family" steak, corn on the cob....MMMmmmm....and 2 fantastic chocolate cakes.



Sunday was just all around miserable. I don't remember what we did but it was trying. It was compounded by the fact that she has mastered climbing out of her crib again. She greeted us twice this weekend by walking into our bedroom and saying "Hi guys!" Figured we might as well take off the crib rail and let her have a go at that. She was really excited at nap time, jumped right in and stayed there. Until she woke up an hour later and thought it was too much fun to walk around instead of sleep any more. OK, well, we knew it wouldn't be a seamless transition...at bedtime, we did the usual routine and she went into her "new" bed willingly again. Until we closed the door and she started screaming incessantly. I checked on her after a few minutes and rocked her until she calmed down and we tried it again. Seemed to go OK until I left the room and the screaming commenced again. Went in there again and in between sobs, she said "Put the thing back on!" Meaning the crib rail. I guess the freedom freaked her out a little and she wanted the confines of her crib that she was used to. Weird. So we put it back on and she fell asleep within minutes.

After that, Scot and I turned our attention to more Hawaii planning. We leave in 12 days. Ahhh....

And yes, she climbed out again this morning. Sigh...not sure what we'll do next.

1 comment:

dougnlarry said...

Sorry it was such a long weekend. That's hilarious that she went right to sleep after you put the rail back on. I guess she's not ready for her big girl bed yet. Maybe if you tell her she has to stay in her bed or you'll take the rail off...
;)